Happy Earth Day, everyone! I wrote about Earth Day last year, along with all of my attempts to be more conscious of what I’m buying and throwing away. I was going to write an update on that, but (unfortunately? fortunately?) my habits look almost identical. So if you missed it last year, you can check it out now! Instead, I’m going to brag a little bit about the amazing town I (and maybe you 😄) live in!
There were so many times this year where I thought, “WOW this town is crunchy, and I LOVE IT.” Here are a few of those times.
- Realizing while writing this blog post that all of the coffee shops in Kent serve fair trade & organic coffee
- Being made aware of everything the City is doing for public art
- Finding out that there’s an EARTH DAY FESTIVAL.
- Watching the natural foods co-op get remodeled & realizing how cool it is that we have a co-op downtown. I got to visit it today and it looks so wonderful inside!
- Learning that Kent has an Environmental Council.
- Finding out that all of the yard waste we put out on the curb is made into mulch, which you can pick up for free right now.
- Walking past the Cuyahoga River every day and appreciating that the town celebrates it, uses it, and was built because of it.
- People watching
- And the very best: Realizing that our recycling program is incredibly extensive—they recycle ALMOST ALL PLASTICS. 😭 How incredible is that? If you don’t live in Portage county, I’d encourage you to check out what your town actually recycles—you might be surprised!
I hope everyone’s having a magnificent Earth Day on this magnificent earth.